Sunday, March 20, 2011

Growing and somemtimes growing up

First of all.  Thank you to everybody who called, texed, emailed, or sent me a gift.  It really was nice to hear from all of you, plus I got some really great gifts.  It was a hairs breadth miss that I didn't get to see my family this morning and yesterday, but it has been great to hear from you anyway.

I have never been overly sentimental about my birthday, it has typcially done nothing for me emotionally, as I have not really looked forward to it, nor have I been afriad of it, but last night I was a little sad, wishing that I had already grown up to be where I could have more freedom at work to do what I want.  I'm sure it is not all that uncommon, but still I have to sometimes remind myself that my plight isn't all that uncommon.  So I'll live with it for another decade or so.  So that was a bit of a downer, but this morning I woke to a happy family, a good nights sleep, and beautiful house and family, and a song in my heart (cheesy I know).  It really was wonderful to be home with my wife this Sunday.  I am so lucky.

We made sweedish pancakes, I looked at the blog she dedicated to me, and got ready for church.  We listened to opera and les miserable all morning, and when I got to church the congregational singing was, in contrast, horrible.  I did my best to improve the situation.  The problem with singing loudly to drown out other people's singing so that you don't have to hear how horrible they are, is that your singing must be better than their singing in order for any good to come of it.  And I can't claim that I'm better so I'll just listen to bad singing I guess.  That's one reason I miss my growing up ward - the singing was awesome.

Anyway here's the funny part of my blog.  Recently Courtney/Conrad Stutzenenggers (I have no idea how to spell their name) lent us "Big Bang Theory" TV DVDs.  Lori and I watched an entire season in about 1 week, and have since borrowed the second season.  The sad thing is that I'm learning a TON about life from watching it.  By life, I mean what social responses are normal and which are not.  How am I learning about this? By watching the genious but retarded Sheldon and relating what he does to what I do.  He's teaching me so much, and not about science (I already know all about most of what he talks about which also frightens me) but moreso about being socially retarded.  I even mentioned this to my wife, that I'm learing from Sheldon and she didn't even correct me.  Instead when I said I'm a perfectionist and particular, and she agreed with me.  When I said I'm learning from Sheldon, she just asked about what I was learning.  I was hoping it would be a joke, but instead it was a sad reality.  Very very sad reality.  Oh well my saving grace is that I must be kinda normal, if I were to secure such an awesome chick as Lori.  She is the best.

The picture is one of me and "big guy" a wax sculpture in a DC museum, in 2005 I think.  He was uncircumcised and it showed (literally).  I'm the one on the left.  I was looking for a recent photo, but this is way cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment