Sunday, April 3, 2011

Addicted to attics

So it took me 30 years (OK, 32 years) to get to the point where I am today.  And then I get married and everything I thought I knew had to be re-evaluated.  Take this last weekend.  Katherine got a baby blessing, which was so wonderful for me to do.  It isn't my first baby blessing.  I was lucky enough to be the home teacher to a wonderful lady named Mary Katherine York who was a part member family.  Hmm, I didn't even realize they had the same name.  So we blessed Katie.  Typically mormon children, if their parents are good LDS church goers bless their baby within a couple of weeks of being born.  Well, Katie didn't have the blessing till she was almost 7 months old.  But I don't think she was too worried about it.  But I do think she got the jitters this weekend preparing for it.  I know I did a bit. She is so old that she wanted to sit up during the blessing.  I think the "baby bounce" was probably like going on a disneyland rollercoaser, and I'm actually surprised she didn't squeel out in excitement for the awesome ride we were giving her.  So I got past the name part and the opening, and had to completely stop.  I was a little overcome, which is good, because when she was born I was too enthralled to really cry, but this kinda choked me up. 



We had the 1st and 2nd counselors here and everybody else was on the phone or on Skype.  It was a tech savvy experience despite Susie Giesler doing her best to ruin the technology.  Grandma could handle it, but not the computer science major.  Sorry Susie, Lori made me say that.  I think you're great at technology!  But also after a few hiccups, and the blessing was over we skyped Susie and David again, and somehow they hit something to make the picture green, superimposed, pixelated, and upside-down.  That is savvy, I couldn't do that even if I tried!  But they kind of fixed it; they turned their camera upside down so the picture was right side up.  In the tradition of my dad making us look for wild animals, a dollar goes to the first person who can spot a susie in this picture.






Back to the atticts.  I've always said it "atticts" for the space above your house but under your roof.  I was wrong my whole life - its attic.  I've been saying it like addicts.  Oops that's funny.  When I say I need to work on my attic, I wonder what people thought?  That I had an addict at my house?  Lori also told me "fail swoop" was "fowl swoop".  So I'm still learning things every day.

I also learned that Jacob/Ryan can work on crazy housing projects (addicts) for 15 hours in one single day.  I also know they worked me to the bone.  Seriously I got super sick with such a crazy day.  I also learned that nail guns are quicker than hand hammers, that Ryan goes into the chicken wing fetal position when a 500 pound board might whack him over the head.  I didn't know that was a safety position.  I might try that if ever a natural disaster comes around.  I already scream like a girl, this might make the disaster have mercy on me.  I also learned what a Daisy chain is (wiring).

Katherine, Jacob, and Ryan Croft (I love that only Ryan calls her Katherine)

Some things I didn't learn, but re-established.  That my family is awesome, that my wife's family is awesome.  That my baby is awesome (even when sick).  Sorry Jacob, I'm sure it wasn't you.  That Ryan hates all food- but one.  That my dad is crazy in supporting my family.

The Fort Collins temple was announced this weekend in conference.  This is a huge deal.  I'm super excited. 

Attict Attic Finished with Lighting and Floor!
Thank you all for your love and support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment