Saturday, November 22, 2014

Not my story - but funny anyway.

I called Jacob to talk about vacation, and complained that my kids are all sick right now.  He then told me how last night Bridger (his oldest boy) came to their bed and said,  "Mommy, my stomach feels sick, like it wants to throw up" and then threw up on her, on her face, in her hair, on their bed, on their wall, on their floor.  Its so funny, because we all have those crazy things happen.  Jacob said the worst part is that they had prepped him - that if he ever needed to throw up, he should go to the bathroom and yell for mom from there.

Very wise on Jacob's part.  But how tragic is it that we as parents can foresee a throw-up catastrophe so well, that we are prepared for such an event - or at least we try to prepare for it.  What happened in Jacob's past parenting experience that would make him want to prep his kids to avoid them throwing up on him in the middle of the night?

I haven't reached that level of parenting yet.  I'm sure my time will come.  Also, what level of parenting is required to wake up to barf, then clean the kid up, put them back to bed, and then take 1 hour to clean it up in the middle of the night before retiring back to bed.  And then to laugh at it the next day without being sleepy?

I heard once, "things that just don't happen, happen in Russia".  I think this saying can be modified appropriately,  "things that just don't happen, happen in parenting."

On a fun note:  during sickness Lori and I have been forced to be creative and indoorsie (not natural for us).  Yesterday we make silhouettes out of cardboard and popsicle sticks, and used a flashlight to create shadows on the wall.  We would make the shadows dance on the wall, while we narrated a story to the kids.  We each got our turn, including the kids, and it burned a good hour and a half before bed time, and even mom and dad had fun.

Today I bought some 2 inch pipes from home depot and cut them, and put 45 degree corners on the end, and set them up on the stairs.  The kids (ok I) would put marbles and hotwheels in the pipe and listen for them to roll down the pipe and hit the 45 degree angle at the bottom and shoot up to hit against the wall.  Mom got savvy and got us some cardboard to protect the wall from dings and damage.  I was one step ahead of her anyway.  I had already removed the steel big marble from the stockpile to avoid obvious dents in the drywall (we had just installed as part of the basement).

Here is a picture of Jared Cameron, and Jared Earl.  Much resemblance?  I don't have pictures of our activities, sorry.  They were really fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment