Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Marriage Blog

I haven't had a chance to write about my temple experience since it happened.  I feel a little wierd about it, because Lori and I have kept our past relationships not broadcaste to our new ward.  I think there are quite a few people who know, but it is not common knowledge.  I'm not really worried about people finding out, but I guess the thing that worries me the most in to have to explain it to the young men.  I'm sure they'll understand, but I really want to be a good example to them and what I did is not the right way to go about things.

It also reminds me of the first time that Ryan my brother met Lori.  This is an absolute true story.  We met, and hung out in SLC, and then drove to my sister Ali's house so that Lori could meet her.  On the way Ryan and I got in a huge fight about the dumbest things.  We never fight, and so this was wierd for me.  He told me later that he was a bit jealous becaue I could get married twice, and he couldn't even find one girl.  I had to laugh.  I told him his priorities were pretty messed up.

But the temple was a bit anti-climatic for me a bit.  Not that it wasn't wonderful, because it was, but just because we had wanted it for so long.  I actually felt as though we were somehow already sealed, but that we just needed a simple ordinance to have it become effective.  There is power in the ordinance, but I had already entered into that coventant, as did Lori, so part of the covenant (between me and my God) was already permanantly formed.

I know some who read this blog may not be LDS.  So I'll explain to avoid sounding clickish or esoteric regarding mormonism.  The temple "marriage" is between a man a wife, but in a way, we promise to each other to keep our commitments to each other, but at that same time, we promise to God to raise a family in righteousness, and to keep our "covenants" with each other.  We are promised that if we do our part, then God will do his part.  It really is a way that we include in a literal sense our commitment to God as we live as man and wife and children.  Also Katie was "sealed" to us as our daughter.  This helps to perpetuate the family after this life when we return to live with our heavently father.  There is a lot about this written at http://mormon.org/family/ if your are interested. 

In a similar thought, though unrelated to this, is the Mormon stance on Gay-Marriage, especially in fighting to keep Proposition 8 (gay marriage) in California.  I believe (and this is my belief) that Mormon's aren't Anti-Gay, or even Anti-Gay Marriage.  I feel the strong stance is because they are so, so, so very pro-family.  Mormon's belief in a strong family cannot mix with the idea of Homosexual home.  Again mormons aren't anti-gay, they are pro-family. 


Anyway, enough explaining and tangetns.  When it comes to the temple I had felt the spirit of God very strongly the first time I got married, and I think it was to help me want to havce that in my life, despite the fact that my first marriage fell apart.  It was wierd, that I had such a strong testimony of temple marriage, even though my marriage had broken.  I guess that is how God works - I've found that he gives you knowledge for things that you will be tried for later, or else will use later, or else will benefit from down the road, when you needed it, but didn't have the knowledge at the time to properly choose.

It is of a sacred and special event in my life, that I felt directed to meet, woo, and marry my wife.  She is great, and is getting greater every month I'm with her.  I'm very greatful to have been assisted by God in this most important endeavor.

Anyway here are a few links to some of our wedding photos


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Valeri-Andersen-Photography/163881252777
http://valeriandersen.blogspot.com/2011/06/june-brides.html
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Valeri-Andersen-Photography/163881252777#!/photo.php?fbid=10150220436602778&set=a.10150220436547778.329258.163881252777&type=1&theater

Its funny, I spoke ealier about Ryan being jealous about me being married twice.  Well I've actually had a wedding three times.  Once with my ex.  And now twice with Lori (legally about 2 years ago, and then just at the temple.)  I hope the third time is the charm.

1 comment: